Monday, August 9, 2010

Unanswered Questions

I remember when I was a little girl and how much I despised the boring craft and baking activities we had to do in Brownies. I never understood why we couldn’t go camping and do the same cool things the boys were doing in Boy Scouts. My involvement with scouting became tolerable when I finally reached the age where I officially became a Girl Scout and had the opportunity to participate in weekend camping trips.


These memories recently came to light when my girls started to ask me why they couldn’t participate in the same cool activities their brother was doing during his Cub Scout camp. He was coming home every day talking about his experiences of canoeing, shooting a bb gun, or testing his skills at archery. I was sad I didn’t have a good answer to give my girls and I was extremely disappointed this is something that is still going on 30 years later.

The Scoutmaster, 1956

No comments:

Post a Comment