Friday, January 21, 2011

WGS 310 Zainab Salbi: Women, wartime and the dream of peace

 
I recently took the opportunity to watch a talk that I found on TED Talks, this has not been the first time that I have listened to a speaker from this particular website  – but, this speaker was professional and I found the subject very interesting and definitely worth mentioning in this blog for my Women’s Studies class.

The speech is titled, “Women, wartime and the dream of peace” and the speakers name is Zainab Salbi she is a women who was born and raised in Iraq and who has experienced growing-up during a time of war and chaos.  Her experiences have caused her to want to take action and start an organization called, Women for Women International (http://www.womenforwomen.org/).  Through this organization she is trying to empower the women that are on the backlines of war and to be the encouragement in their lives so they can use their personal experiences to create a voice that can make the necessary changes needed to create peace during this time of conflict.

In addition to sharing her personal experiences, Zainab is able to give a few interesting statistics about the cost of war.  Though I wish she would have referenced where she got her numbers, I still thinks she makes a credible argument about how much more we could accomplish if we spent the money on more important things – such as education.

I believe Zainab Salbi is an exceptional speaker – she spoke passionately and from the heart.  Her experiences, professional manner and the examples of the stories she has heard over the years makes her someone that deserves to be heard and given our full attention.

I have included a link to this talk so you can tell me what you think!

Zainab Salbi: Women, wartime and the dream of peace | Video on TED.com

No comments:

Post a Comment